Golden Monkey Trekking in Uganda and Rwanda
Golden Monkeys are beautiful unique primates found on the slopes of the Virunga volcanoes which are shared between Rwanda, Uganda and DR Congo. In Uganda, golden monkey trekking is done in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in southwestern Uganda. In Rwanda, golden monkey trekking happens is done in Volcanoes National Park in northern Rwanda.
Golden monkey trekking is an active tour compared to Chimpanzee trekking and or gorilla trekking in certain instances because it is done in the mountainous area and they are continuously moving which requires you to follow them. Golden monkeys are small and fast which makes tracking them an active and rewarding experience. Golden monkeys mainly prefer to forage through the bamboo sections of the forest because they enjoy eating the young bamboo shoots.
They live in groups of about 30 individuals or more roaming over a large territory in the virunga volcanoes. You will obtain a golden monkey trekking permit in advance from either Uganda wildlife authority or Rwanda Development Board through a tour agency and specify the date for which you would like to trek the golden monkeys.
The golden monkey trekking starts early morning with briefing at 7 am at the park headquarters before trekkers are placed in different groups. You spend an hour with the golden monkeys after spotting them. The trekking can take anywhere from 2 hours to several hours depending on where they nested the previous night and how far it is from the starting point.
What to Carry
- Insect repellent
- Day pack for your lunch in case the trek takes longer than expected.
- Water for drinking
- Wear long sleeved shirts, trousers
- Waterproof hiking boots and a good mood.
- Remember to pick a walking stick at the briefing point or your hotel, you will appreciate the support on the sometimes slippery paths.
- Just like gorilla trekking we highly recommend you go along with a porter to provide an extra support with the day pack and the slippery places.